Friday, May 13, 2011

My Traditions reguarding FOOD

Living in Washington State, both sides of my family, my mom's side and my dad's side, live in two different directions of each other. Alothough, my dad's side of the family is much closer. This makes it easier for family get togethers around holidays.
On Thanksgiving, my grandma usually fixes a beautiful turkey with mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans, white trash (mandarin oranges mixed with cottage cheese, cool whip, and jello), beets, and to top it off a homemade pumpkin pie. Every day though tastes just like a holiday at this grandma's house. She always has something cooking on the stove or in the oven. Everything tends to be homemade, and when it isn't, it is because there was a sale at QFC on their wonderfully made chickens! Every morning there is either french toast, pancakes (with a hint of cinnamon..YUM!), waffles, and even bacon on the side. Lunch is usually consisting of a sandwich or soup with toast, unless my grandma is in the mood for tomato soup with grilled cheese sandwiches (I may be lactose intolerant, but that doesn't stop me).
Driving down to my other grandma's house is a long drive and we all work up an appetite...by sitting in the car for two hours...Anyway, it is almost the complete opposite. There is bacon every morning with a big jug of Sunny-D because when I stayed with my grandma, while my sister was in the hospital, she let me pick out my favorite juice and sure enough Sunny-D was my choice and she has carried that tradition on for about ten years. When it comes to lunch, its more about popcorn and junk food like chips and candy. But when dinner comes, it is all about the homemade chicken soup (which isn't like ordinary chicken soup). On special occasions, like birthdays or holidays, the roast beings to cook and the smell is so delishous. It reminds me of a cartoon where the smell is resembled as steam and it grabs the character by the nostrils and brings him to the kitchen.
Between the two different sides of the family, one is more traditional and a bit on the healthy side, where as on the other side of the family its about having fun...well, that's another way to say eating all the junk food you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment